Friday, July 17, 2009

In Response to Stephanie Dix’s “I’ll do it my way: Three Writers and their Revision Practices”

I like the writing activity of having to write out the instructions of how to build a paper tree. I thought it would be fun to have the student pass their instructions to a fellow student and see if that student could build the tree based on the instructions; after this have the two students revise the directions together. I don’t know if it will really work, but it could be fun.

It makes sense to me that kids are more willing to revise poetry than other types of writing. The way we teach poetry suggests that there are multiple choices per line, and that there is more than one right way to write a poem. How could we teach the other types of writing this way so kids are more comfortable with remixing and adding to and taking away from their papers?

2 comments:

  1. I think that students have their own styles of learning.I believe that students approach to their writing in different ways because of their styles of learning. As an example, a student in my workshop said that I should make changes by placing the fre-writing and brainstorming in diferent format. At the same time other student said It was perfect the way that it focus because she could make changes in her writing. I think that we should respect students decisions when is pertaining to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your last question, I think we simply build it in to the culture of our classrooms and writing workshop. In other words, we simply require that all writing requires the careful consideration of word choice and revision.

    ReplyDelete