Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Things I learned from the AWESOME Workshops!

I can’t say thank you enough for all the hard work and effort you fellows all put into your workshops! I am so excited to go back through these when creating lesson plans in the future. I now have a large range of weapons under my belt to use for improving my lessons and teaching. You are all so talented and special I’m grateful for the wisdom, experience, and fun you have shared with me! You all ROCK!!
Some things I took away from the workshops:
1) The Waltons can be used in the grammar class (bet they never thought they would be used in such a way!)
2) The love of words and their power to move and inspire based off of sentence structure can be spread to the students.
3) Paradise Lost isn’t so bad after all!
4) Spanish is cool, and can be a great tool in the language section of the English classroom.
5) Memoir can be done by anyone at any age. Our students have life experience, lets help them record it.
6) There are good and bad reading logs out there.
7) Metaphors are powerful only if students have the background knowledge to understand them.
8) I learned what the heck the DWA and how to use list writing to help students get going on their masterpieces.
9) There are magazines that publish student work and I have a whole list of web sites to choose from! Perfect for my magazine unit!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for summarizing and compacting all of the great strategies we have been given. As an aside, I don't know why you need to be armed....we all saw what you carry in that purse of yours......be afraid, be very afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your workshop and am inspired to find out what forms of media students are reading other than books! You made it look so easy to teach audience and purpose writing our responses on the board and directing our conversation with ease. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete