Monday, July 27, 2009

Portfolios

My ideas and thoughts on portfolios have changed drastically throughout my college career. I think the thing that is trickiest about portfolios is that they can serve multiple purposes and we are trying to tie a nice and neat single-track-definition to them. Portfolios can be used effectively many different ways. One way is to evaluate the progress of your student over a certain amount of time; another way is to showcase your very best work all in one concise spot; and still another purpose is somewhere out there I'm sure. Overall, portfolios are tricky, but can be helpful and should continue to be used in the classroom. I think one of the most important things is to keep your purpose in view at all times.
What I want to know:
Where is the research on portfolios?
How do we get administrators on board with portfolios?

2 comments:

  1. I think that the essential question is, "what is the purpose of this portfolio?" Then, we'll be able to design a system that serves a purpose, is meaningful to you and your students, and can be an outstanding assessment tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, if you want research we have some articles we didn't use. Just let me know if you want them. Research is clear that if portfolios are used effectively, if students know the purpose, and if self-reflection is built in it can help student growth in writing. I think presenting a solid case about why you want to try portfolios, then asking if you can pilot the idea is a way to begin getting your administrator on board. Love the new background!

    ReplyDelete